Sunday, November 11, 2012

Minor milestone

Minor milestone, finally beat George in one of our open fencing to 15 things. Close though, 15-14, ended with a double touch. Maybe he wasn't fencing as well as usual, who knows, but I'd like to think there was some benefit to my focus this week on patience and waiting for tempo openings. I certainly spent a lot more time than I used to waiting and not attacking. Still need to protect my hand and arm better.

Ended the afternoon fencing John Varney to 15, which is always humbling. I think I scored 3, maybe even 4 to his 15. Sheesh! Still, fencing him can be educational. He exploits tiny moments of tempo advantage I don't even see. His infighting is also great and interesting. Several times we got close and I managed to land close hits but his hit first, and sometimes in strange ways. Perhaps sometime I should chat with him about infighting.

Also fenced Jim, who was quite challenging. At one point he did a well executed fleche with a curious and somehow familiar blade movement. We briefly talked about it—he said he had just learned it during a lesson with Russ and quickly explained it. I'm not sure I quite got it, but I think it starts with moving to an 8 position as the fleche starts but then swings up into 6. Soon after I tried just that on him and it worked. Something to try more.

No comments:

Post a Comment