Friday, March 1, 2013

Video of me and John


On Sunday John Varney had a video taken, on a smart phone, of me and him fencing. I asked for a copy since I had never seen myself fencing, not even a still photo. He gave it to me on a memory stick on Monday and I edited it down a bit (and increased the contrast, etc).



The main thing I see in it, besides my fencing pants being too big, which I knew, was how much my footwork could be improved. Which I also knew, but it helps to see it. I tend to be over-balanced toward my front foot. So I've been practicing balance, keeping my back foot more flat and more aligned heel to front foot (instead of toe to front foot, which is my habit).

On Wednesday footwork came up talking with Mikol and he said he tries to keep his back hip down. I hadn't considered thinking about it in hip terms, but it makes a lot of sense. I will be thinking about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment