Thursday, May 16, 2013

Beginner to intermediate fencing

Been reading Epée Fencing, from Leon Paul. Subtitled A Step-by-Step Guide to Achieving Olympic Gold (With no guarantee you'll ever get anywhere near it). The book is divided into beginner, intermediate, and advanced sections. The advanced section is aimed at world class fencers, so the intermediate section is more advanced than I usually would think, at least for my goals! It seems that I am still a beginner, but getting closer to intermediate, according to their definitions. There's a list of things you need to be able to answer "yes" to in order to be what they are calling an intermediate fencer. Rephrased from questions to statements (with comments about where I am now):

  • Your hand automatically leads in an attack. (usually, working on it)
  • When recovering from an attack, your arm is the last to fall into the on guard position. (not that often, got to work on this more)
  • Can use stop hits with opposition. (I think so)
  • Can stop hit to wrist with angulation. (yes)
  • Can remise effectively. (yes)
  • Your three parries (4, 6, 8) are technically perfect, and you riposte quickly and in-line. (my parries not technically perfect, but mostly good I think; ripostes less "perfect", especially from 8)
  • Your disengages are very small, normally say only 20-30 centimetres in diameter [8-12 inches]. (I think so, "normally" anyway)
  • You normally keep your feet moving at all times during a bout, and vary the tempo. ("normally", mostly yes, I think)
  • You maintain a correct fencing distance and resist being lulled into a closer distance by a cunning opponent. (I think so, although maybe not as well with very cunning opponents; on the other hand, I seem to sometimes be able to lull opponents into coming too close...)
  • Your lunges and flèches attract admiring comments from your coach and other club members. (not really, just the opposite for my flèches, sometimes)
  • You are in good physical shape. (getting better, but...)
  • You have been fencing two or three times a week for at least two years. (no, only one year, not counting the long long ago stuff).
That provides a list of things I could, or ought to be working on. The main things seem to be:

  • Hand leads
  • Arm last to recover
  • Perfect parries 4, 6, and 8
  • In-line ripostes from 4, 6, and 8 (especially 8!)
  • Better flèching.
Put that way, it sounds quite manageable...

No comments:

Post a Comment