Sunday, July 27, 2014

Videos from 2014 Subway Washington Games, Rain City Fencing Center



I started videoing Joshua Meehan and Paul Duchow in part because Joshua had beaten me so badly I wanted to see how Paul Duchow might deal with him. Part way through I switched to watching Kim Ji Sun and Bela Suveg, so this video is only the first part of the bout. Paul won 15-8.




Kim Ji Sun only recently arrived from South Korea. I don't know if she is staying or for how long or what. But she is good! Being newly arrived she was a U coming into this tournament. Left a B.




Having watched Kim Ji Sun beat Bela I was curious to see how she might deal with Matthew Comes in this semifinal bout. She did some interesting stuff, but Matthew's deadly leg hits and fast fleches won the day. Matthew went on to beat Yuly in the final, 15-14, which would have earned him his A if he hadn't just earned it the day before in Portland...by beating Yuly. Sheesh.




The other semifinal. Yuly is impressive. I didn't video the final, wanting to watch it with my own eyes—and having seen several Yuly-Matthew bouts before. They got to 14-14 before the first period ended. In the second Matthew won with one of his long lunges to the leg, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment