Monday, March 30, 2015

Ray Coates Memorial Team Tournament, 2015

Well I don't have too much to say about this one. I was on a team with Shawn Dodge and Charlie Muñoz but Shawn hurt his back in the first match and dropped out. Since we didn't have an alternate our team had to drop out too. The other SAS team didn't have an alternate either so, although it is technically against the rules I think, either Charlie or me could join that team. We both wanted to, but Charlie really wanted to, and was fencing better anyway. So that was it for me. I was disappointed but eventually enjoyed helping the other SAS team, watching, offering advice, and so on.

It was the first team tournament I've been to. I really enjoyed the team aspect. I guess there are various ways team tournaments can be run. This one was done in a cool way. There were 11 teams (after mine dropped out) and we were seeded by ratings into a DE tree. If you lost a match you continued in a "loser's bracket" tree until all 11 final ranks had been determined by matches. This meant every team got to fence three or four matches. It also mean that the matches got closer and closer in terms of skill, so that the final matches were usually very close, which made things more exciting for everyone toward the end.

I also took a few videos, four from the SAS and one of the WFA teams, and two from the last match of the day (though not for 1st place—one of the Oregon NWFC had already won 1st).












No comments:

Post a Comment