Saturday, July 28, 2018

Catching up, local tournaments, end of 2017-2018 season

I've fallen out of the habit of writing here, but here's some quick catching up for the rest of the 2017-2018 season. After the Battle in Seattle I competed in local five tournaments and Summer Nationals. I will try to write a separate post, or posts, about Summer Nationals. I'll also try to write a separate post for the "Western Washington Foil & Epee Challenge Series #4" event, at which I came in 3rd out of 25 and renewed my rating from a C2015 to C2018, yay.

For now I'm just going to write a quick summary of the four other local tournaments, since my results were all average to meh, and I mostly did not take notes:

Seattle International Veteran's Cup ROC: Came in 21st out of 31. My pool opponents and results were Sean Ameli (lost 2-5), Dvorak Franco (lost 4-5, argh), John Varney (won 5-3, woo!), Jeff Lucas (won 5-3), and James Simoni (lost 2-5). My indicator was -3, making my seed 18 out of 31 (my pre-pool seed was 15 thanks for having a C2018 rating; had I still been C2015 my seed would have been about 20).

Being seed 18 I was paired with seed 14, which turned out to be John Varney, argh! I've won pool bouts against him two or three times, including this day, but I've never won a DE, even a vet DE to ten points. I did better this time than usual, being mostly tied to about 5-5, then losing 7-10. Not too bad, but I lost just the same.

A cool thing about this tournament was Tobias Lee coming in 1st and getting his A rating, yay! On the way he beat Jeff Johnson, Travis Exum, and Sean Ameli. All very impressive!

https://askfred.net/Results/results.php?tournament_id=39077&highlight_competitor_id=91067&event_id=155784

Western Washington Foil & Epee Challenge Series #5: Having done well in the 4th of these local "challenge" events I had high hopes. Ended up 10th out of 18. Pool was 2-and-3: Joel Howard (won 5-3), Mallika Ketkar (lost 4-5), Garrett Armstrong (lost 2-5, oof), Chung Lu (lost 4-5), and Jeff Lucas (won 5-2).

I was seeded 10th and paired with seed 7, Mark Benack. I thought I had learned enough after the last few times we had fenced to be able to beat him, or at least have a good plan. The plan was pretty good, but I could not completely control impulsive "bad idea" attacks, and I made some other mistakes. I lost 10-15. Ah well. One more step toward controlling "bad idea" impulsivity.

I did write a few notes about this tournament, mostly about mindset and fencing Mallika:

...I enjoyed everything and had fun, but couldn't get into a good competitive headspace—and didn't really try to hard either [to get into that headspace]. I mean, I fenced as well as I could, but I didn't seem to care that I wasn't in the ideal "competitive" headspace. It was fun, and that was enough. Prime example: In my pool bout against Mallika Ketkar I got up 4-1 but managed to lose 4-5. She scored four singles in a row while I only need a double to win. I felt kinda dumb about it, but not too bad—mostly I felt somewhat happy for her—it must have felt great for her! And it wasn't that I wasn't trying my best—more that I was okay with whatever happened. A fine mindset: I had fun after all, which it really my biggest fencing goal—but perhaps this was not the ideal competitive mindset.

https://askfred.net/Results/results.php?tournament_id=38372&highlight_competitor_id=91067&event_id=152323

Rain City Open: Came in 18th out of 30. Pool was 3-and-2: Joel Howard (won 5-4, phew), Matthew Comes (lost 1-5), Jeff Lucas (won 5-2), Benjamin Duchow (lost 2-3 (didn't know time was running out, sigh)), Evan Bentley-Inouye (won 5-2). Indicator +2. Seeded 15, which paired me with seed 18, Thea Bridger Denz. We had a good bout—basically tied off and on. I don't think either of us ever got more than 2 points up. She was very defensive and most of the action took place at her end of the strip. Her defense was great, very good parries. Near the end she got a slight lead, then I caught up and we reached 14-14. She got the final point and won. I felt bad having lost, but also impressed with her fencing. And even more impressed watching her win her next DE against Mark Benack. Mark was seed 2 and expected, I think, to win without much trouble. Thea fought hard and well, winning 15-13. It was impressive. Mark was quite pissed afterwards, and loudly petulant. I heard someone saying to her afterward something like "wow you really made him upset", to which she said, with cool confidence, "I've been making boys cry since I was ten years old". Love it.

Her next DE was against Andrew Kiluk. Despite Andrew being a clubmate friend I couldn't help but root, at least in part, for Thea, but she lost 15-11. Andrew then lost to Matthew Comes. On the other half of the tableau Steven Benack beat Tobias Lee, so the final was Steven Benack and Matthew Comes. Although they are both in college now and not around for most of the local season, seeing them in the final was awfully familiar. I must have seen them in tournament finals ten times or more. Usually Matthew won, if I remember right. But this time Steven won, 15-10.

https://askfred.net/Results/results.php?tournament_id=38358&highlight_competitor_id=91067&event_id=152243

Western Washington Division Senior Championships: Came in 17th out of 25 (well at least that's "best" for those who didn't make the 16...um, right?). My pool: Jeff Lucas (won 5-2), Andrew Lee (lost 5-2), Eric Zobel (won 5-4, to my surprise), Eli Weise (lost 4-5, argh), and Jeff Johnson (lost 2-5). Indicator -3. I came out 14th seed and was paired with 19th seed, my clubmate and sometimes drill partner Joel Howard. I think I win more often than not against him in tournaments, but sometimes he just has my number. He certainly did this time, beating me 15-7, yikes. The final was a familiar sight, like at the last tournament, but this time Matthew Come and Andrew Lee. It was a very close bout, but Matthew won, 15-14.

https://askfred.net/Results/results.php?tournament_id=39449&highlight_competitor_id=91067&event_id=157052

No comments:

Post a Comment